Monday, September 20, 2010

Nothing comes this quickly and easily without a catch...

2 days until departure!

As totally stoked and excited as I should be, a wave of fear/anxiety/nervousness/worry has just attacked me. Which is actually rather out of character for me, my mom usually worries enough for the both of us (sorry Mom ;) ). I discovered a documentary that was just released in New York last weekend called, "Picture Me: A Model's Diary". It was directed/created by Sara Ziff (a model) and her ex-boyfriend Ole Schell.  The trailer was online along with an article about the documentary that was intended to publicize the "real dark side of modeling".  It didn't really alarm me at first because I have talked with ex-models before and I know that this is a very scary industry, but for some reason the more I watched/read about the documentary the more anxious I became.  I'm going to post the link of the trailer and an additional video if you'd like to watch it.

I think another thing that bothered me was reading the YouTube comments people posted in response to the video. "What these spoiled girls are complaining about?" "Millions of working women would sell their kidneys to have the job of these SPOILED, OVERPAID BRATS." But really, it's so much more than that. And the more I've learned about this industry the more I have realized it.  It's a tough job. Physically, mentally, emotionally -- draining.  These girls go weeks and weeks without proper sleep, they're pressured to go to extreme means to keep their physical image and to keep their attitudes/energy up.  You spend a lot of time alone, in foreign countries making it hard to communicate with your friends and family. I think all of that really hit me tonight, and I'm glad it happened now rather than when I am in New York or somewhere else.

God intended for me to see this video.  I know that he is trying to prepare my heart for the scary journey ahead.  This is one BIG mission field for me. The Modeling industry is one of the most Christ-less industries in the world, and I know I have a job to do for HIM.  God does not give us anything we can't handle, and he has brought me this far for a reason.  

Keep me in your prayers, especially Thursday as I transition to the big apple! I will post an update then.

Love to all!
Lauren

YouTube Trailer : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQpnw1lgWb0
Focus on abuse in the industry : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1xOirJEwpY
Focus on youth in the industry : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqBem5Mjiko

"God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The Lord, the Lord, is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation." Isaiah 12:2

No comments:

Post a Comment